After listening to I’m on Fire and its awesomely depressing lyrics I started a little twitter game called Emo or Springsteen. Basically the game consisted of me posting a lyric that was either from an Emo song, by bands like Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy, or a Springsteen song. Then people guessed which one it was.
Lots of people participated, including Representative Thad McCotter, with varying degrees of success. Here are the entries, see how well you can do at picking which one is which. I’ll write an update post in a day or two with the correct answers.
Bonus questions: There is one song quoted twice, what is it? One of these songs is actually named “Emo”, which one is it? How many songs from each artist are there?
1. Sometimes it’s like someone took a knife baby edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley through the middle of my soul.
2. The night has fallen, I’m lyin’ awake I can feel myself fading away.
3. You wake up in the night with a fear so real. Spend your life waiting for a moment that just don’t come.
4. Well my soul checked out missing as I sat listening to the hours and minutes tickin’ away.
5. You sit around getting older. There’s a joke here somewhere and it’s on me.
6. Someday girl, I don’t know when, we’re gonna get to that place where we really want to go and we’ll walk in the sun.
7. I’m ten years burning down the road nowhere to run ain’t got nowhere to go.
8. Maybe he won’t find out what I know, you were the last good thing about this part of town.
9. And it’s been autumn since the day that I met you. If I hit bottom, must I crawl out alone?
10. We fell in love I knew it had to end. We took what we had and we ripped it apart.
11. Time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days.
12. The best of us can find happiness in misery.
13. So you’ve been broken and you’ve been hurt show me somebody who ain’t.
14. A rivalry goes so deep between me and this loss of sleep over you.
15. Don’t waste your time on me you’re already the voice inside my head.
16. I’m just a notch in your bedpost but you’re just a line in a song.
17. Your hands they shake with goodbyes & I’ll take you back if you’d have me. So here I am I’m trying.
18. Is a dream a lie if it don’t come true or is it something worse?
19. Promise me baby you won’t let them find us. Hold me in your arms, let’s let our love blind us.
20. It’s rainin’ but there ain’t a cloud in the sky. Musta been a tear from your eye.
21. I know you feel empty all the time. You’ll never listen to anything that I say.
22. At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet and a freight train running through the middle of my head.
Update: Here is the answer key! See how well you did…
2 thoughts on “Emo or Springsteen?”
1 & 22 are both from I’m On Fire by Springsteen. I don’t know either Springsteen or any Emo bands well enough to comment on any other lines.